The Sacrifices They Make

Sunday night at AWANA I was faced with the reality of just how hard it is for our military families. I have lived here a long time and have known many families who serve our country faithfully but the true sacrifices they make have never affected me as much as this family. I don't know why, but I suspect that the Holy Spirit has led me down this path.

One of my leader's husband left about a month ago on a 15 month deployment to Iraq or Afghanistan. I'm ashamed to admit that I can't even remember where in the world this man is serving. She was having a bad day and she came to tears when someone asked her how she was doing.

She is a precious sister in the Lord and has equally precious children. But they are going through a time of separation. Separation from a husband. Separation from a father. Separation brought on by the politics and terrors of this world. And their separation has deeply moved me.

God has placed this dear family on my heart and I have adopted them in order to pray for and encourage them as they wait for his return. I have installed a counter on this site (you can see it on the sidebar) to let me know how many days it will be until this family is reunited. It also serves as a reminder to me as to just how long these days will be. Often when families have been separated because of a deployment, I find myself amazed at how fast the time goes by. For me. One day they're gone and then it seems that suddenly they're back. However, time doesn't go by quite so quickly when you're the one waiting. And I don't want to be insensitive anymore to the wait that these families have.

Amy mentioned to me last night that Patrick had been gone for 35 days. I almost blurted out, "Has it been that long already?" I'm certain that those words would have caused pain, were certainly not appropriate, and I'm thankful the Holy Spirit kept me in check. He's been gone for only 35 days.

So to the Fitzgerald family: I don't know why God has placed you on my heart as he did but it is my intention to pray for you while Patrick is away. It is my intention to encourage you while Patrick is away. It is my intention to wait with you until Patrick's return and never again take for granted the sacrifices all of you make for our country.

Semper Fi!

(Is there a family that you would like to adopt for prayer and encouragement?)

2 Response to " The Sacrifices They Make "

Post a Comment