The First Game

Yesterday was the first day of Little League. Yesterday was Joe's first game of the season. It started out rather ominous. We'd been expecting rain since last Thursday and it didn't come until Saturday ... of course.

The rain came between games so that none of them were called. It would have been disappointing if the first game of the season was rained out!

Joseph's best buddy spent the night. If they were girls I would be calling them BFF (best friends forever) but I don't think boys use that saying. If they knew I did, they'd probably hate me forever.

I told Joe that if his friend was going to spend the night that he would have to be in bed by 10:00 p.m. because he had a game in the morning.

I made them brownies at 11:00 p.m. I guess that makes me an enabler.

They were still up at 3:00 a.m. and I didn't know if Joe would have a good game or not.

His friend thinks I'm weird. He didn't want to look at me when I was taking his picture. I think he's seen too much of me walking around the house in my fuzzy purple slippers and shudders every time he looks at my feet.

Look at the faces on these boys. Pregame contemplation and possibly a butterfly or two fluttering at the walls of their stomachs. As my husband reminds me, baseball is a mental game just as much as it is physical.

The catcher is pulling on his equipment. Catchers have a lot of equipment to pull on. I don't think I could do it. I have a hard enough time getting ready to go on a date with my husband.

Ok Len, you can quit laughing.

This is our team in the field. We are the Maryland Terrapins. We thought we were going to be Michigan Wolverines. It's kind of hard for 12 year old boys to adjust at being "turtles" instead of Wolverines.

But they managed.

Here's a Terp at bat.

Here's my baby! This was his first at bat of the season and you could tell he was a bit anxious. He probably would have struck out but the umpire called the catcher for interference and Joe was able to take first base.

He ended up scoring a run.

And he hit the next time he was at bat which happened to be in the same inning.

Yep, it was one of those games. The first inning took almost an hour to play and the score was 13-0.

In the first inning.

That gave me a chance to get some shots of other things going on in the park.

Oh, lookie here. Folk that I know and love. Aren't they a gorgeous family?

Their little girl was playing softball and I got to see her get a hit and score a run. Unfortunately the pictures that I got of her were really out of focus. I have to stick my camera lens through the holes on the fence to get unobstructed shots and a little boy was shaking the fence so all the pictures that I got of her were blurry.

And then Len was trying to talk to me just as their little girl was scoring a run so my next pictures of her were even more blurry.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Look at this little girl. She is just too cute for words and as friendly as can be.

You just can't resist getting a picture of something this cute!

Joe was playing first yesterday. He did see a little bit of action.

Not a whole lot, though.

You see the outfielder in the picture above? This is what he was doing ...

He was watching the grass grow.

(See Len! I told you I had a purpose for taking a picture of the grass!)

It's nice to see them coming off the field with smiles.

I guess it's pretty easy to smile when you win 20-0 on the first day of the season.

Here's to a great season. I have a feeling we're going to have to sit through some nail biters though! They can't all be 20-0 games.

1 Response to " The First Game "

Post a Comment